Skip to content
Home » My Dog Swallowed a Bandage – What Do I Do?

My Dog Swallowed a Bandage – What Do I Do?

It can be a worrying experience when you discover your beloved dog has swallowed a gauze bandage, band aid or something similar. While it may seem like an emergency, the good news is that in most cases, it’s not as serious as you might think. However, there are some things you should do if your pet ingests anything they shouldn’t have. In this blog post, we’ll discuss what to do if your dog has swallowed a bandage and how to prevent similar incidents from happening again in the future.

What to do if your dog eats a bandage

The first thing you’ll want to do is check your dog’s mouth and throat. If the bandage isn’t visible, it can be an indicator that your pet has swallowed it whole. In this case, the safest option is to bring them to a veterinarian as soon as possible.

dog with a bandage
dog with a bandage on its leg

Your vet will likely take an x-ray of your pet’s stomach to determine if the bandage is still in their system and make sure there are no other issues at play. You may also need to provide stool samples for a few days afterward so that the vet can monitor its progress through your dog’s digestive system. It’s essential to keep an eye on any changes in behavior or appetite since these can be signs of potential problems from ingesting the bandage.

In some cases, the vet may also advise that you wait and see if your pet can pass the bandage on their own. If it is small enough, it should be able to exit their system without any medical intervention. However, this should only be considered a last resort and for milder situations since there is always a risk of complications or obstruction in more severe cases.

Can a dogs stomach break down cloth?

No, in most cases a dog’s stomach can not break down cloth, especially if the bandage if not made from gauze, but polyester or plastic as it often the case with some brands. In fact, it is one of the few materials that their digestive system is able to digest less efficiently than humans. Therefore, it is essential that you seek professional help if your pet consumes any type of bandage or other fabric item.

How to prevent future incidents

It’s essential to take steps to ensure similar accidents don’t happen again in the future. Some things you can do include:

  • Store all medical supplies safely out of reach of your pet so they are not tempted to eat them.
  • Consider buying pet-safe medical supplies specifically designed for use on animals instead of human ones where possible.
  • If you notice your pet nibbling on anything they shouldn’t, intervene quickly and give them something more appropriate to chew on.
  • Take extra care if you are out and about with your dog so that you can ensure they don’t accidentally eat anything dangerous.

The best way to prevent your dog from swallowing a bandage again is to keep them away from any potentially dangerous items — such as medical supplies, plastic wrappers, and so on — in your home. You should also make sure they are always supervised when out playing or exploring the outdoors. Having toys and treats available can help distract them from anything they might try to consume.

Finally, ensure you stay up-to-date with regular vet checkups for your pet so that any potential health problems can be identified early and treated appropriately.

By taking the necessary precautions, you can reduce the risk of any future accidents occurring.

Overall, while it can be worrying when your dog swallows a bandage or similar material, in most cases it’s not as serious as it may seem at first glance. By following the advice given above and consulting a veterinarian if needed, you should have peace of mind knowing that your beloved pet is safe and healthy again soon.

dog with a bandaged leg
dog with a bandaged leg

Can a dog pass a small piece of cloth?

Yes, sometimes a small piece of cloth can pass through the digestive system of a dog without any medical intervention in some cases. However, this should be considered a last resort and for milder situations since there is always a risk of complications or obstruction in more severe cases. If the piece of cloth is too large or you are concerned about your pet’s health, it may be best to take them to the vet for further assessment. It’s also important to keep an eye out for any changes in behavior or appetite that could indicate potential problems from ingesting the bandage.

How long does it take for a dog to digest a wrapper?

The amount of time it takes for a dog to digest a wrapper or other material depends on the size and type of material. Candy wrappers are a common culprit. In general, smaller items made out of non-durable materials may be digested within 24 hours, while larger or harder items can take several days to pass through their system. It’s also important to note that some materials may not be able to pass naturally and require medical intervention in order to be removed safely. Therefore, if you are concerned about your pet’s health after they have ingested something, it is best to consult your veterinarian for advice.

How do you tell if a dog has a blockage?

If a dog has a blockage, you may notice them vomiting or having difficulty passing stools. Other signs of a potential blockage can include loss of appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain and bloating, excessive drooling or other changes in behavior. If you suspect your pet is suffering from any type of obstruction, it’s important to take them to the vet as soon as possible for diagnosis and treatment. In addition to physical symptoms, some tests such as bloodwork and imaging can also be used to determine if there is an obstruction present.

Preventing similar incidents with bandages from happening again

To prevent similar incidents from occurring in future, make sure that all bandages are kept out of reach of your pet – preferably in a secure cabinet or cupboard. This includes not leaving them lying around after changing your own bandages or those of others. Additionally, it’s important to always supervise your pet when they are outside. Even if you think they won’t get into anything, it’s best to take precautions in case something unexpected happens.

Finally, make sure to check all areas that your pet has access to regularly. This includes checking under furniture or around the house for any stray bandages, gauze or other objects that might be potentially dangerous for them. Keeping a close eye on items like this can help minimize the risk of any incidents occurring again in the future.


It can be an unsettling experience when you discover that your beloved dog has swallowed a bandage or something similar. However, with quick action and the right precautions taken, most pets will not suffer from any serious complications. If you think your pet has ingested something they shouldn’t, it’s best to bring them to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Additionally, taking measures such as keeping all bandages out of reach and regularly checking your home can help reduce the risk of similar incidents happening in future.

It is always important to keep your pets away from any objects that could potentially be dangerous or cause health problems for them. With a few simple precautions and quick action, most dogs will make a full recovery from swallowing a bandage without any serious issues arising. Knowing what to do and how to prevent similar incidents in future can help give you peace of mind should an unexpected situation arise. With the right care, your pet will be back to their normal self in no time.